Saturday, July 17, 2010

Little Moments that Mean A LOT

Today was just a good day. Hayden was just perfect today from the time she woke up at 7:30 until she went to bed tonight at 8:30. Colton was great, as always. I had a list of things I knew I needed to do today-laundry, clean the floors, vacuum the carpet, clean the kitchen, do the dishes, pick up the bizillion toys scattered throughout the house, and keep the kids in one piece. I should know by now that making lists and expecting EVERY thing on the list to be done is a no-go…not gonna happen. But, I am a list person…I can’t help it. I think it is the satisfaction of having a goal and getting to cross it off with a pen. Unfortunately I haven’t used that pen much! Ha! I did, however, get the kids bathed and clothed and fed before 9…and to me that is a major accomplishment. Hayden has a new found love of yogurt…doesn’t matter what flavor. She is also becoming very independent, which means she holds the spoon and attempts to get all the yogurt in her mouth…well…today it ended up scattered on the floor…but it is getting better! She just looked at me with those eyes and I can’t even get mad!

After scrubbing the yogurt from the floor and searching for a dirty diaper that Hayden decided to take and hide in her room, we headed out to Grandma and Grandpa’s. My mom was there as well and asked if I would go with Grams to the store to get some things she needed and she would watch the munchkins. I value my time with my grandma and today, even though we just ran to Walmart, it was special to me. She makes me laugh until my stomach hurts. She brings a smile to my face when she believes EVERYTHING my dad says and when she gets totally embarrassed. Anyways, we went back to her house and Sarah and Tim were there so we all ate lunch together. Grandpa is doing so well and looks fabulous. Now, if Grams and Gramps and I can just get through these next few days that my parents are gone it will be a miracle! I just hope Grams and I get all the medication straight with Grandpa. But I think we can do it!

Because my parents will be gone, Nic and I get the joys of babysitting little Jo Jo…aka Hayden’s best friend! I am telling you…they have been inseparable. He is a Shi-Poo and just the right size for Miss Hayden. It is amazing what that dog can withstand from her. She loves to kiss him…right on the mouth (great). She pulls his tail when he doesn’t go the right way, lays on him (whether he wants her to or not), and drags him by the head. Thanks mom and dad for giving us a playmate for Hayden! She also loves to feed him, piece by piece. I also found out that she shares food with him…his food. That means she feeds him one piece and then she gets the next piece…which explains why she has dog breath. Oh, and don’t forget about the water bowl…without the water because the water is on the floor.

After cleaning all that, I finally say, “let’s go outside in the pool.” And with eyebrows raised and her mouth in an “o” shape, we change into swimsuits and head outside. Thanks to the wonderful water, we didn’t have to worry about getting overheated. We then played in the rocks for a long time, throwing one rock at a time. But hey, she was fascinated by it so I just went along with it. During all of this time, Colt lay in his basinet that we took outside watching his sister. I am telling you, he doesn’t stand a chance with her! Haha!

Hayden is getting to that age where I don’t necessarily HAVE to watch her every move…so I let her roam around the house finding toys I didn’t even know we had, watched the gate fall on her (she was ok, don’t worry), watched her drag the a stool out to the family room from which she would climb and jump off of, watched her drag the rocking horse out the family room from which she would climb and fall off of, and watched her undress herself only to redress in PJ’s, watched her climb the stool to get to the rocking chair and jump up and down and up and down until she fell off, and watched her laugh her head off at Jo Jo licking her.

Somewhere in between all this, she scarffed down dinner and guzzled down a while gallon of milk (not really, but it sure seemed like it!), and got ready for bed. I am pretty sure she wore herself out because she didn’t say a word when I was walking her to bed…I put her in, we prayed, she smiled and clapped after we said Amen, and she was out.

It was now Colt time. We snuggled and stared at each other for about an hour. I listened to his coos and his attempts at talking.

Do I even need to mention that the list I made didn’t get ANYTHING crossed off?? You know what? I don’t even care! To watch my baby girl smile and laugh all day long is all that mattered to me today…not the chores around the house.

No comments: