Sunday, June 20, 2010

My Dad, My Husband

There are 3 very special men in my life: Nicholas, Dad, and Colton. Today, on Father’s day, I want to honor 2 of those men: my husband and my father. Today at church Pastor spoke about how the father is to be a godly example, the head of the house. He should lead us to Christ and look to Him. He should not give up on his children, but pray for them and be there for them…no matter the circumstance. On TV most shows poke fun at the dad and make him look like the joke of the family. But that’s not what God desires of a father. I want to tell a little about these special men in my life.

First, my father. My dad is probably the most generous, compassionate, hard working man that you will meet. He gives. He gives time, he gives advice, he gives encouragement, he gives love. Although my dad is a doctor who works a lot of hours and is on call almost every other day it seems, I have NEVER felt like he didn’t have time for me, his daughter. He always had time to go to school functions, to father/daughter sock hops, to ballet and tap recitals, to every important event that happened in my life. He has always kept his promises. He always has time to talk and time to have fun. I remember as a high school student it seemed like I ALWAYS needed help with my homework. It didn’t matter how late at night it was or how early in the morning it was, he would always find the time to help me. He never got frustrated with me, although I would have if I was him. He always showed patience…a quality I have always admired about him. I always thought, and still do think, that my dad could do anything. He can fix anything, whether it is something in the house or something personally. It seems like he always knows what to do, no matter the situation. I have always felt like I can go to my dad and just talk about life. I can talk to him about anything. He listens. Even though I am 25, a married woman and have 2 kids, I still find myself wanting to make my dad proud of me. Ever since I was young, I never wanted to disappoint my father. I looked up to him and still do. He is my hero. There has never been a minute of my life that I have doubted his love for me or his family. He loves through his actions, not just his words. I feel completely blessed that I have a father like the one I have described and the thing is, this doesn’t even come close to describe everything he has done for me, for his family. Thank you dad for all you have done for me and all you have taught me. Thank you for working hard for your family and for loving us. Thank you for teaching us to have fun in life and to smile. Thank you for your sense of humor, even if you did hide under my bed and grab my feet as I was falling asleep and scaring the pee right out of me. Most importantly, thank you for the Godly example you have been to us. Happy Father’s Day, Dad!

I always knew since I was a little girl that I wanted to marry someone just life my dad. Which brings me to the next man in my life, my husband.

Nic is the most incredible husband and father to our children. I love watching him play with each of his babies and seeing the joy it brings to his eyes. I love that even when he is completely exhausted and almost falling over after work how he goes in the back yard and pushes Hayden on the swings and teaches her how to play catch. I love that he talks to Colton as he holds him in his arms even though Colt can’t talk back. I love how when he runs to the store he sweeps his baby girl up and takes her along with him. I love that he helps feed Hayden and then cleans her up, which can get real messy. I love that he spoils his children. I love that he gets down on the floor and wrestles and swings Hayden all around the room. I love that he lets her jump all over him and sometimes hurts him. I love how he looks at each of his children. I love that I never have to ask for help. I love that he works hard to support me and the babies. I love that he wants to be a Godly role model for his family. I love his patience with his kids when personally I want to pull my hair out and scream into a pillow. I love that God chose Nic to be the father of my kids. I am so thankful for my husband. Happy Father’s Day Nic!

To end this post, I want to share a song that describes my heavenly Father. Some people don’t have a father figure in their life like I have described, but they do have a Father in heaven.

Unfailing Love by Chris Tomlin

You have my heart

And I am Yours forever

You are my strength

God of grace and power

And everything You hold in Your hand

Still You make time for me

I can’t understand

Praise You God of Earth and sky

How beautiful is Your unfailing love

Unfailing love

And You never change God You remain

The Holy One

My unfailing love

Unfailing love

You are my rock

The one I hold on to

You are my song

And I sing for You

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very touching, Tori...I enjoy reading about your family! Sometimes I wish we were closer together, so our kids would really know eachother. We love you all.
~Jennifer Minder

Marsha Cogle said...

Tori, (Marsha C.) again. This was so extraordinary. I would say that had hit the nail on the head, with your Dad. He is great. Nick also. You are also something. What talent and sweetness, and a joy to listen to. You Have blessed me tonight by reading this blog. Don't stop these kinds of writings. You are so very talented!!!!!!! YOU ARE SOMETHING SPECIAL
THANKS FOR LETTING THESE WRITINGS BE SEEN