Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11

Today is September 11. Ten years ago today, the lives of millions of Americans changed forever. I still remember sitting in my homeroom and staring at the TV in the corner of our room. We watched as a plane crashed the first World Trade Center. As we watched in disbelief, the second plane went right into the other tower. I remember not really understanding what was going on...how huge this was. I didn't really know what those Trade Centers were. As we went through the week, the news channel was on, and we watched over and over the horror that happened that day. The thousands that died, the thousands that were missing. I still, to this day, cannot think about that day without getting a lump in my throat. And the thing is, I wasn't there. I didn't have any loved ones that were killed that day. I didn't know anyone personally that had to experience the sights, the sounds, the tragedy. But every time I think about that day, I pray. I pray for the families that lost their loved ones. I pray for the people who lost their best friends that day. I pray for the people that had to witness what they did. Sometimes I don't even know how to pray for them. But I just do. My heart sinks for them and hurts for them. I can't even imagine being there that day. I can't imagine the screaming, the horror.
The other thing I remember this day that happened a decade ago was the unity of America. I would be driving to school and see flags EVERYWHERE. I would be listening to the radio and hearing songs that were dedicated to that day. It was then that, for the first time in my life, I truly understand what it meant to be an American....and the pride I felt. I often wonder why God spared my family and friends that day. I often wonder why God allowed me to be born in a country where I could be free. I am thankful. I am grateful. I am thankful for the firefighters, the police officers, the paramedics, the strangers that rushed to help the injured, and everyone who helped/comforted people. I am thankful for the ones who died while trying to save others. I am thankful for their bravery. But it still hurts to think about. And it is confusing.
I know the above doesn't really make all that much sense, but like I said, it is hard to put into words.
Now for this weekend...whatta weekend. First of all, can I just tell you that I love my friends and family? I do I do I do. Last night was the ND, Michigan game. We had a full house here-14 adults, 9 kids. I love having people in my home. Good company, bad game. So disappointing.
Today was the B100 birthday party. My wonderful parents and sister watched are babies while Nic and I spent the day together, listening to music, talking with our best friends. The weather was perfect. I so enjoyed just being with my husband...just sitting and relaxing with him by my side.
***I will post pics later...I need my bed...I am E.X.H.A.U.S.T.E.D.
Oh yeah, I forgot to do my challenge for yesterday...
Six Places...
1. Hilton Head Island-my favorite place...ever. This place hold my childhood memories. It is a place my family goes where we just spend time...together.











2. Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, TN- This place holds many of my dating and early marriage memories. I started going here with Nic and his family to camp. I fell in love with this place immediately...the beauty of it was astonishing. Nic and I continued to go there for our honeymoon and then averaged once a year since.





3. My house- This is where we make memories every day. We live life together...face hardships, as well as rejoicing together. We laugh, we cry, we pray, we live.
4. England- I want to travel around England with Nic some day...it will probably be like 25 years...but still:)
5. Disney World- I want to take my children here some day. I want them to experience where "wishes come true." :)
6. The house I grew up in. This place holds my heart.

It's amazing what "places" can mean to you.

No comments: