Thursday, February 10, 2011

My Valentine (aka Nic Minder:))


The pic above was while we were in college
This is after 4 years of marriage...my have our bodies changed:)
It is almost Valentine's Day...America's most romantic day out of the whole year. This will be mine and Nic's 12th Valentin's Day together, and our 5th as being a married couple. If you knew Nic and I separately, you would probably think we are the most opposite people that walked this earth...it could be possible.

Nic is patient, I am not. Nic looks for the good in situations, I tend to fall apart and be negative. Nic doesn't let the the little things get to him, while I think the world is ending because someone looked at me wrong. Nic can sing, I can't (but I still belt it out in the car when I am alone). Nic loves to cuddle...believe it or not, and I can cuddle for a couple minutes, but then need my space (I know, I am weird). Nic is athletic, I can cheer (HA). Nic is quiet, I am LOUD. Nic is sociable (for the most part), I tend to only like small crowds. Nic wants to stop at 2 kids, I want 4 (we will see who wins...is there a way to trick him??). Nic chose a career of chasing down criminals, I chose a career of teaching kids who hopefully won't have to come across him. Nic is practical, I am not. Nic is laid back, I am not. Nic THINKS before he speaks, I don't. Nic is street smart, I am book smart with no street smarts. In school I had to study for hours and spend so much time on my work and work HARD to get my grades, Nic didn't and would get about the same grades. I am a list person and write everything down, Nic has all he needs in his head. Nic hates to write, I can write forever. Nic grew having only what he needed, I grew up with everything I wanted. We grew up living 2 completely lifestyles. Nic takes everything in, I tend to be a little dramatic. I am a people pleaser, Nic doesn't care what people thing of him or what he does. Nic can be a procrastinator...I freak out if I am not 10 minutes early or have something done at least 3 days before it needs to be done.
But God brought us together, despite all of our differences. He orchestrated our love story that turned into a marriage. In some ways I believe we are a perfect balance for each other. God has allowed us to go through our dating journey, which lasted about 6 years with 2 breakups, to a wonderful marriage...not perfect by any means trust me. God has chosen this man that I have described to be a perfect match together.
God has used Nic to teach me MANY things over the years. He has taught me how to love deeper. He has taught me how that I don't need "things" to make me happy. He has taught me how to RELAX (ok, ok, we are still working on that one). He has taught me that in everything I do, I need to TRUST God, that he will provide and that he is a faithful God. He has taught me to laugh instead of getting mad. He has taught me that sometimes friends can come and go, but he will always be there when I lay my head on my pillow at the end of the day. He has taught me to learn from the hurt and not to make the same mistake (I am still learning this one as well). As crazy as it sounds, Nic has taught me how to break down the walls around my heart...that sometimes it is ok to cry, to hurt. I have a hard time with this one because, although I wasn't brought up with this thinking, I thought crying was a sign of weakness and I HATE to cry (although ever since I have had kids I am like a fountain).
But you see, although Nic and are COMPLETELY opposite in almost every way possible, God has allowed us to use those differences to become one couple...one unit. Yes, God is amazing.
I am so thankful for God allowing me to be married to such a WONDERFUL, AMAZING guy. He has blessed Nic and I in ways that I could have never imagined.
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

1 comment:

John and Jenn Minder said...

Awesome! I think you also just described many aspects of me and my marriage!! Polar opposites in many ways...but God brings us together to form one amazing union. What a better way to raise a family, with 2 very different personalities and ideas, to give the very best to your babies and give them the diversity they need to form who they will be as adults! You guys are awesome! We love you...