Sunday, October 2, 2011

October 2, 2011

Today marks 11 years that Nic and I have been a "couple." God has blessed us more than we could have ever imagined over these last 11 years. Do you realize that is over a decade? Does that make us 'old'? I sure feel like it:) Even though I was in high school, I knew that he was the one for me. He was going to be the guy I was going to marry. He was my best friend, still is. Each day I fall more and more in love with the guy. God is so good. He knew exactly the kind of man that would have the patience, love, and kindness it would take to be with me!




 We like to kiss:)


 This is what all that kissing leads to:):) hehe



That man is too good to me:)

On another note, Nic and I got to see Courageous today. I saw Fireproof so I kind of had this thought that I knew exactly what it was going to be like and so on. Boy was I wrong. I can't tell you what perfect timing this movie had in our lives right now. For those of you who have NO idea what the movie is about, it is about police officers and their families and about what being a father really is. I have blogged many times about the different struggles that come along with being married to a police officer and the strain that it can cause on the marriage. Many people don't understand it. Many people don't care. Many people are too quick to judge.  There is a bond between police officers that people don't understand. Sometimes I don't even understand it. As I have mentioned before, Nic and I have been together for 11 years now and he has been a police officer for 5. I have seen what the job can do to a man and how it can change that man (not in a bad way). 
I have seen the sadness in his eyes when something has happened to a child. I have seen the madness in his eyes when he has dealt with someone who has hurt someone else. I have seen the stress in his eyes when the job gets to be too much. I see the exhaustion in his eyes after long hours.  I have seen the marks on his arms after having to restrain a person. I have seen the pictures of wrecks, abused ones, drugs, and so much more. BUT these are all things that I see AFTER it all has happened....at the end of the day. What I DON'T see is what happens DURING these events. The movie has opened my eyes to see what actually happens during the job...the decisions that have to be made in a split second.  And I have to admit, it scares me. I couldn't do it, that's for sure:)
Sometimes I am so quick to get upset with Nic when he gets home late, or when he doesn't want to do anything but sit on the couch when he gets home. Sometimes I don't understand why Nic can't sleep some nights. Sometimes I don't understand why he has a hard time trusting different people. Sometimes I don't understand why he is so protective.
I won't always understand what is going through his head, or why he makes the decisions he does, but after seeing the movie it has brought an answer to me about some of these understandings. 
But the main point of the movie is about what the call of a father means. We take so many things in life for granted. Our children, our family, our possessions. It can all be gone in a blink of an eye. We only get one chance to be a father or mother. I don't want to give away the movie more than I already have...but if you have not seen it, I highly suggest you do. Not just if you are a police officer, married to one, or related to one. That is just the part that hit home to me. But I truly believe every father should see it. Ok, so maybe just EVERY ONE should see it:) And bring Kleenex...seriously.

No comments: