Sunday, December 12, 2010

A Weekend Away

Nic and I just returned from a wonderful weekend away. For months now we have been planning just a simple weekend away for our anniversary. Obviously we wouldn't be able to go on our actual anniversary, so we just planned a weekend that Nic could get off, which happened to be this weekend. Because I knew we were going to be gone overnight 2 nights in a row, I began to prepare myself early...mostly because I have not been away from Bubby for over 3 hours at a time...and not to mention his unwillingness to take a bottle from anyone but me until about a week ago. As you can imagine, the anxiety inside me was starting to rise. I knew Nic and I needed this time to reconnect as a couple and get some much needed sleep that we haven't been able to get in over 8 months...but I was scared to death to leave my baby boy. Hayden has been spending the night with my mom and dad since she was 4 months old, so I knew she would be just fine. It isn't because I don't trust my mom and dad...because I totally do and I had complete trust in them...after all they have had 4 kids. I think part of me just didn't want them to get frustrated with my kids and not want to spend time with them. I am always afraid my kids would be a bother to people. Anyways...back to the weekend. Nic and I left after he got off work on Friday and headed for Kalamazoo. We were originally going to go to Chicago...then we were going to go to Frankenmuth....then on Thursday we decided to just go to Kalamazoo. Nic's rookie is from there and told us a whole bunch of different things we could do...which I was TOTALLY fine with...as long as there was a mall...ha.
The first thing we did when we arrived at the hotel was...TAKE A NAP! It was wonderful, my friends...simply wonderful. A couple times I would wake up thinking I heard a crying baby, but then smiled to myself as a realized it was just in my head. After the wonderful nap, we headed out to a restaurant at the Radison. It was kind of weird to just sit there and not have to rush through the meal due to a rowdy 2-year-old and a needy 8-month-old. So we just sat...and talked. We talked and talked. It was like we were catching up on the last 8 months of our busy life. Because of Nic's work, overtime, and basketball duties, we haven't seen a ton of each other.
After a marvelous dinner, we walked down to a piano bar to just listen to the live music and talk some more...and listen to Nic sing along to the songs...hehe.
Then...get this...we SLEPT THROUGH THE WHOLE NIGHT. I could tell that my body wasn't used to that when I woke up and my whole body was stiff as a board because it hasn't been that still that long since Colt was born. I also woke up thinking I was going to completely explode...any nursing mommas know what I am talking about! Even though I didn't have to nurse Colt this weekend, I still had to take time and pump...pump a lot. But I didn't care. After finally getting ourselves out of bed around 10:30, we showered and headed our for a day of SHOPPING! We went to a mall and seriously went into almost every store they had. Although, we didn't buy much, it was so fun to walk hand-in-hand with my husband and look at everything. We pointed out things we would want to get in the future for our house, saw things we would love to eventually get our kids, and even tried on WAY TOO expensive clothes for the fun of it. We did, however, find some really good deals for Christmas outfits for the kids and a good smelling candle...hehe. After hours of the mall, we headed to Toys R Us and found some AWESOME deals on toys for the kids for Christmas. I am sooooo excited for them to open them on Christmas morning! We then set out for an early dinner at Olive Garden...yum yum...and then a movie. That's what I call one perfect day with the man I love. Since the movie ended early, Nic made a last minute call to a friend and met up with him. It was so nice to catch up with him and hear how life was going for him.
We then got another great night of sleep and headed home to our babies. My parents kept telling us how perfect the kids were...which calmed my heart in so many ways. They said that Colt was such a great eater...took the bottle just fine and ate his fruits and cereal like a champ...way to go Bubby! Hayden was an angel as well. They said that Colt didn't fuss one time...except at night...oops. Now that I know he did fine while I was away, maybe my parents can watch him more often...right mom and dad?!?!!?!? Just kidding.
Mom and dad, if you read this, just know how much it meant to me that you were willing to watch the babies while Nic and I got to get away for a little bit. I know how much my children love their grandma and grandpa and I know they were in GREAT hands. I know that they were taken care of and had a BLAST...and were completely spoiled! You too, Kris...thanks for staying up with Colt from 2-4 in the morning! You will never know how much I appreciate what you did for us!
Even though it was hard to leave my babies for a whole weekend, I know that Nic and I needed this. We needed to be together...just him and I. He is my best friend and I love the fact that we can still have so much fun together even after 4 years of marriage and 2 kids!

No comments: