Monday, December 6, 2010

Early Christmas present


After months of trying to find the “perfect” dog for Hayden to grow up with, we have finally found one. I know, I know, yes, we are just downright crazy…but we love our new addition. After Sam not working out due to not being able to handle the stinkin’ dog, we figured we would just wait for a couple years. However, Hayden’s love for dogs grew and grew and we just knew she would love a dog around the house. The problem we kept running into was what kind of dog?? The dog would have to be a special dog because he/she would be dealing with kids pulling, jumping, tormenting the poor thing. We also knew we wanted a big dog, but we knew that could be kind of dangerous with small kids (like Sam). So…we went from Lab to Golden Retriever to Goldendoodle to Cocker Spaniel to everything in between. We researched, we looked…then one day we went to the mall to just look at the puppies. We came to a window with 2 beautiful HUGE puppies. I knew right away that would never be an option because I knew nothing about the breed and we didn’t want to get a puppy from a mall (there was no way we could afford that)…however, Nic fell in love with those puppies and wanted to research them a little. When we got home we immediately started reading about the breed and found that my previous thoughts were way off. This was the perfect breed for our family and fit just what we wanted in a dog. Laid back, lazy, perfect family dog, great with kids, gentle, great guard dog, big, not high maintenance, and the list goes on. We loved everything about these dogs and immediately started searching for our new dog. We wanted the dog for Hayden’s birthday. We searched and searched. Finally one day Nic came across a breeder in Goshen who he went and talked to and we immediately knew this was our guy. However, the dogs were only 1 ½ weeks at the time and wouldn’t be ready by the time we needed her for Hayden’s birthday. But we also knew we trusted this guy and knew his dog would be perfect for us. So…about every 2-3 weeks we went back and would watch the puppies. It was a long 10 weeks, but he called Nic yesterday and said we could pick our puppy up anytime. We were shocked and just started loading the kids up. We were very excited. When we got to the house, we were greeted with 2 HUGE Bull Mastiffs and the momma English Mastiff. Hayden’s eyes lit up and she wanted down to play with the dogs that towered over her. These dogs were so gentle with her and just so mellow. They brought out our puppy and we watched Hayden interact with her. The breeders told us everything we needed to know about how to feed our new puppy and her schedule. Although she is only 10 weeks old, she is already 25 pounds. Her dad is 240 pounds and her mom is 190 pounds. They told us she would be a little smaller than her mom.

We loaded up our new member and headed for home. I am telling you, I have never fallen in love with a dog faster than I have for miss Iris. She loves Hayden and Colton and just walks around and lets Hayden torment her and love on her. Hayden spent the rest of the evening playing with her new best friend. I am telling you, this dog puts up with everything. I think the thing I like best about her is she isn’t in the kids’ faces and doesn’t jump or bark. She just kind of walks around and lays down. Her favorite spot so far is under the little table by the couch.

Today Hayden woke up and went straight to her friend. She has been just wonderful and I am so thankful. Nic was able to get up at night with her only a few times and she went right out and did her job and came in. Good puppy!

Merry Christmas, Hayden!

She would stay like this all day!

Iris, the English Mastiff

Poor Iris...Poor Bubby

Hayden, on the other hand has been quite the challenge today. I thought the girls were playing in her room with the books and so I thought I would quick take the dog out and change Bubby. I heard them giggling, and all the sudden Hayden came running to me with 4 shirts on…but the arm holes were up her legs. They had taken down EVERY hanger in her closet and were trying on all the clothes. Ever since then Hayden keeps wanting to change over and over…she does make me smile though.

Colton, on the other hand is now pulling himself up by grabbing my arm. He is also somehow scooching/crawling to where he wants to go. Every time I have food in my hands he thinks it should go into his mouth and he looks like a little bird!

Basketball season is in full season as Nic has been watching films, reading speeches, scouting, and everything else that goes into coaching. I forgot how time consuming this was, but I know he has such a strong desire for his boys. Tomorrow is his first home game and I know he is so anxious/excited. Can’t wait to watch him coach with his cool sweater vest!

Things are changing so fast in our household and I am not sure I am ready for all of it! I am just trying to take one day at a time, praying that God will give me the strength and energy I need…which he has. He is such a faithful God. I am telling you, I am one blessed momma and couldn’t be more thankful for my little family.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i'm glad you guys went with a puppy this time....& a CUTE one at that!! a mastiff was our second choice, but we found Dozer first! Wish we could've gotten to meet her, next time! :)

Ashley Claeys said...

what a HUGE puppy, she will be a BIG girl for sure!! but i know mastiffs are good dogs even though there are ginormous..cant wait to met her she looks so cute!