Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Tis the Season

I cannot believe that December is here. My favorite month of the year. This is the month for traditions, time spent with family, decorations, movies, music, books, hot chocolate, lights, and so much more.
Hayden really seems like she is getting old enough to really enjoy this season and actually understand the meaning of Christmas. Colt goes along with everything his sister does and is enjoying everything as well. It has been so much fun so far.
We have made an our advent calendar this year with a card in each pocket. Every day the kids pull it out and we do whatever activity is on the card. So far we have had to make a chain counting down to Christ's birthday, a wreath made with handprints, and to watch An Elf's Story (based on the Elf on a Shelf).



This year we started Elf on a Shelf. I can't tell you how fun it has been for the children (and for me!). The first day of the month I let them open the book and the doll. They LOVED it. We read the story, which explained our elf. They named him "Antsy". I found that a fitting name:)




So far Antsy has been caught taking a marshmallow bath, playing with the toothpaste, and fixing himself a bowl of cereal. Hayden and Colt find him each morning and just laugh and laugh. I love watching their excitement in finding him.
Throughout the years I have been collecting Christmas books, but have found that if I just lay them out, they end up all over the place and some don't even get read. Sooooo...I saw an idea on pinterest (of course) and decided to wrap the books. Every night I let the kids open one book and then read that book by the Christmas tree.


On Saturday night, Elkhart held a Christmas parade downtown. It wasn't anything big, but the kids enjoyed it.











We also decided to do a real tree as well as our normal fake tree this year. We didn't want anything big, so we did a smaller tree. We went to Hensler's Nursery with Nic's dad and step mom. It was so nice out that we were able to enjoy being outside and looking at the animals and see Santa. The kids were also able to pick out their own ornament....which I am regretting (they were bells).



















I hope some day my babies will look back on these childhood traditions and be thankful for them. I have had so much fun already watching my babies interact with these activities.
While all of these "activities"are fun, I always want them to remember why we celebrate Christmas and the true meaning of the season.
I hope you are all enjoying this unusually warm December as well.

No comments: