Thursday, March 22, 2012

A post from last week...

I had written a post last week but didn't have internet to post it. I know it is a little late, but I want to make sure I record it. It is from March 14th...


These last few days have been absolutely gorgeous outside. I can’t tell you how just the weather can make my mood so happy! It is March…and almost 70 degrees. Seriously?!
The kids have enjoyed the weather immensely as well. They would stay outside all day and all night if I would allow it. They even went out on the porch the other evening while it was raining to color with their chalk.
This week has been a little different. My dad and sister, Kris, left for Haiti Saturday morning. I always struggle when I have a family member traveling, let alone 2 family members LEAVING THE COUNTRY. Sunday night I received a call from my mom explaining some pain in her left arm and chest. Well of course I flipped out because I know that isn’t good. We ended up in the hospital in the middle of the night…just me and her. Nic stayed with the kids. Out of all 4 of us kids, I am probably the WORST one to be with during an emergency. The doctor dad and PA sister were millions of miles away (ok, a little dramatic), Adam was in AZ and Sarah was at college. That left the spastic daughter, Tori. Anyways, we got to the hospital (very gracefully, I might add), and we found out if you just tell them at the check in that you are having pain in the chest and left arm, you get seen right away! It was nice not to have to wait in the Emergency waiting room with 20 other people.
Mom started with an EKG right away, which came out fine. We were then taken to a nice room where it was quiet. They did blood tests and hooked her up to something (I have no idea what it was). We were then to sit and wait. Luckily, mom was in a bed and I had a chair that changed to a bed where we were able to get 2 hours of on and off sleep. This was around 4 am. One of my dad’s partners came to chat with us, which was VERY comforting. It is a whole new experience to be in a hospital and not to have my dad by our side. I know my mom missed him very much during this time. The 2 doctors that had come in were extremely nice as well. I was thankful that God had allowed such great care for my mom during this time. Her blood tests came back and there was no sign of heart attack or whatever they were looking for. She passed the stress test as well. All in all her heart looked great and healthy. The doctors couldn’t explain the pain though, which is still a worry to me. It might have to do with her joints and muscles but she will have to go to a doctor to figure all that out. I say it’s stress. But I am no doctor, apparently.
They released her around 2 pm Monday afternoon. Nic and I took her home and all three of us TOOK A NAP! Elizabeth was there when we woke up and was able to stay with mom the rest of the evening and night.  
I can’t even put into words my fears during this experience. This was my mom and she was in pain. I had no words to comfort her and I couldn’t do a thing to make the pain go away. I prayed constantly over those 20 hours that everything would be ok. God is good. And I definitely think I deserve best daughter points for this!
We did go back and stay with her Tuesday night and I am convinced that she is still not recovered from the whole thing. She is very tired and her arm is still hurting. The good thing is her chest pain hasn’t really been all that bad since they gave her some medication in the hospital (again, I don’t know medical stuff). So please be in prayer for her as she deals with this and as she tries to find some answers.
Also, please pray for Kris and Dad. Like I have said, they are in Haiti. I was VERY against this before they left because I am a worry wart. My dad has been posting daily updates on FB. I am very proud of the both of them for what they are doing down there. Please pray for safety, wisdom, and guidance as they work with those that are sick. I know God has chosen him and Kris for a purpose.
Here is a little bit of what he is saying:
“Family units are strong even though starving. You will even see them including relative kids who have lost their parents. Over 300,000 died in 2010 after the earthquake. Hard to grasp. Electricity goes out all the time. Seeing many great organizations working here to help. God is good.”
Never a dull moment.

No comments: