Monday, August 16, 2010

Life Time Memories

So I am trying to soak up every second here in AZ with my family. Yes, it is crazy hot, but with the pool right outside our door, we have been able to keep cool and have lots of fun. Yesterday we were able to go to church with Adam and Rori and meet their church family. I always get nervous about going to new places, but the people here reached out to us and were so nice. The pastor spoke on Discipline, which is always so interesting. Nic really loved it since he tied it in with football and how we, as parents, are the groundskeeper, referee and coach.

From there we went back to the house and Dad and I went to the store to get some food while Adam and Nic took a ride on the bikes and the girls hung out at the house. Hayden has kept us on our toes and has kept us laughing with the way she is in the pool. Her new-found love is jumping off any height of ledge into the pool…sometimes without anyone being ready to catch her. Of course we are all keeping our eyes on her but she still somehow amazes us how ready we have to be at any given time. We have all had to take turns catching her since she wants to do it ALL day long. She has done very well with learning how to kick her legs in the water and blow bubbles. She still has no fear of the water…good thing or not so good? She has also learned new expressions, which have us all snickering. We just relaxed here at the house the rest of the day by reading (not me…I have kids), talking, laughing, laying around, swimming, and eating. Life can’t get better than that!

Once again, because of the time difference, we were all up by 7 am AZ time this morning. Mom was outside doing her Bible study so Hayden and I enjoyed breakfast outside by the pool. The breeze made it just the perfect temperature. I think we are starting to get used to the time difference, even Hayden. She has done well these past few days so I am thankful for that. Adam and Jamie came over once they got ready and so we just did a whole lot of what we did yesterday.

I can’t tell you what it means to just sit back and watch the ones that I love the most. Kristen has loved this time of NO STUDYING. She doesn’t have a single school book here with her. It is just so great to see her have no worries for a whole week. Adam has kept us entertained with his stories and his personality…hmm. It is breathtaking to see him and Jamie with their little girl. Sarah has kept us laughing with her random comments that sometimes we can’t believe come from little innocent Sarah. Jamie has been a lot of fun to be around and has encouraged me in ways I am sure she doesn’t even realize. Mom and Dad have been having the time of their lives (at least I like to think so) with their 3 grandchildren and watching them when Nic and I aren’t…oops! Nic has been our master chef and is quite the little house husband. And as for me….I am just taking everything in, trying not to forget a second from this trip.

As most of you know, when we return from this visit with my brother and sister-in-law, Sarah will be going off to college and Kristen will be going back to her crazy schedule of school and non-stop studying. Dad and Nic return to their long hour jobs. I start babysitting. Mom will be a mess from Sarah leaving and having no more kids in the house…but don’t worry mom….me and the kids are just 20 minutes away…HA!

Because I was 7 when Sarah was born, I have remembered most of her life. I acted as if I was the mother of her and wanted to take care of her in every way. I can’t believe she is finally old enough to be going to college…I can’t believe she will actually be on her own…I am not ready for this big change at all…and I am not even her mother.

Dear Sarah,

As hard as it to believe, you will be going off to college to start a new chapter of your life in just a few short months. You will be meeting new people, some even your lifelong friends. You will be challenged in ways you have never been before…spiritually, academically, emotionally, and sometimes even socially. You will be living in a new place.

I know the tears will come when the time comes…and I am not even your mother…but you are my baby sister. I have watched you grow into a beautiful, godly, young woman. I have watched you go through hard times and cried with you, whether it involved boys, friends, grades, or even if you were just having a hard day. I have watched you go through the good times and cheered for you, like when you were put on the Varsity squad or when you received one of your many awards. You have always been an encouragement to me and I pray that you keep that part of you to encourage those you come in contact with at school.

I will miss you. I will miss our chats. I will miss working out with you (well me attempting to work out with you)! I will miss just sitting and watching movies with you, even though you fell asleep within the first 10 minutes. I will miss your smile. Please know that I am always here for you. I am only a phone call away.

As you go through this next step of life, please remember something. God will always be by your side. Hold onto his hand and let him guide you. He is your strength. I know that you are scared because you have never been anywhere but Elkhart Christian Academy, but He is there. Please stay in the Word and hold on to all you have learned the past 18 years.

I cannot express in words how proud I am of you. Sometimes I feel that you are the older sister giving advice to me. You keep me on track and let me know when I am doing something I shouldn’t or opening my mouth before thinking (which happens more than I like to admit). Thank you for that. I love you, Sarah. Enjoy every second of your new chapter. It will be such an amazing experience and I hope you don’t take that for granted.

Your big sister,

Tori

No comments: